Hale House

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Historic Preservation Commission Logo Hale House Today






Hale House
84 N. Walkup Avenue
Built 1905

Built by Alva and Mary Hale, this excellent example of Queen Anne architecture has been maintained with few changes through the years.

Queen Anne characteristics of this particularly flamboyant home include a cacophony of gable, hips, bays, and projections. Dressed in polychromatic textures of clapboard and shingles, the house is festooned with patterns of diamonds and fans. Arched, oculus, and tripartite windows are likewise embellished with lead and stained glass.

The abundance of detail continues inside where the original oak trim remains and the fireplace features locally produced terra cotta.

Alva Hale was prominent in the early history of both Nunda and Crystal Lake. He owned and operated a grocery store as well as a farm implement business. He was the Nunda Township supervisor for 26 years, school board member, as well as the President of the Union Cemetery Association of Crystal Lake.

May Hale descended from two of the oldest families in McHenry County, the Hamiltons and Thomases.

Hale House was in the Hale family for sixty-six years. In 1971, Robert and Patricia Wilcox purchased the property and sold it in 1973 to Hugh and Virginia Engelman.

The Engelmans spent over three decades restoring the home to its former grandeur. They removed aluminum siding to expose the thin profile of the original wood clapboards and decorative wood shingle work. In keeping with Queen Anne architecture, the Engelman's painted the home in hues of blue accented with green, gold, off-white, burgundy and pink. In 1998 the Hale House became the first privately owned home to be landmarked by the newly formed Historic Preservation Commission.

Hale House - Vintage
Looking north on Walkup Avenue at the
intersection with Center Street.  The house on the
corner (left) was built as a duplex and is still
standing.  Hale House is the structure in the
middle.  Photo taken circa 1910.