The City of Crystal Lake's namesake lake, Crystal Lake, is under the shared jurisdiction of the City of Crystal Lake and the Village of Lakewood, which patrol and regulate the lake. (See boating regulations link below) The Crystal Lake Park District issues gate keys for their boat launches at Main Beach, 300 Lake Shore Drive and at West Beach, 2330 Lake Avenue. (Please note that these regulations do not apply to Three Oaks Recreation Area lakes. No outside watercraft is allowed at Three Oaks Recreation Area, but watercraft is available for rental.)
In order to place your watercraft on Crystal Lake, whether from a public or private launch site, the following is required. Please note that this pertains to all types of watercraft, including jet skis, kayaks, inflatables and more. Please see the Crystal Lake Boating & Safety Regulations link below for details.
1) You must be a resident of the City of Crystal Lake, the Village of Lakewood or reside in the Crystal Lake Park District's boundaries.
2) The watercraft’s registration must reflect the resident’s name.
3) You must purchase an Annual Lake Usage Decal. These Decals can be purchased at Crystal Lake City Hall, 100 W. Woodstock Street at the Finance/Administration window in the main lobby. We anticipate the 2017 boating season decals to be available by April 19, 2017. You must bring the following information in order to purchase the decal:
- Your current Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources watercraft registration card. If the watercraft was purchased recently, you will need to bring your temporary registration from the Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources. (Please note, the IDNR's website advises that IDNR Water Usage stamps are available at Crystal Lake City Hall, but they are not. They are available at Three Oaks Recreation Area, the Crystal Lake Park District, and the Crystal Lake Walmart.
- A valid driver’s license showing your correct name and address.
- The Crystal Lake Watercraft Registration Form
- Payment must be in form of cash or check only.
- A boat launch gate key may be purchased at the Crystal Lake Park District.
Crystal Lake City Hall is located at 100 W Woodstock St, Crystal Lake, IL 60014 , (815) 459-2020
8:00 am to 5:00 pm (Monday – Friday)