City of Crystal Lake Public Works Department
Larry Zurek, Street Division Superintendent
Office: (815) 356-3614
Fax: (815) 356-3677
Street Division, Snow & Ice Control Program
The Public Works Department is responsible for the City’s Snow and Ice Control Program on 175 centerline miles of public streets within the corporate limits of the City of Crystal Lake. As part of a maintenance agreement with the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), the City snowplows U.S. Route 14 between Crystal Lake Ave. and Main St., and Route 176 between Walkup Ave. and Erick St. The City is not responsible for the snowplowing and salting of privately owned streets or roadways under the jurisdiction of McHenry County Division of Transportation (i.e. Walkup Ave., Ackman Rd., Randall Rd., Virginia Rd., or Pyott Rd.).
In heavy snowstorms, crews will make two passes down each street and a single pass into cul-de-sacs to make streets and cul-de-sacs accessible. Full width plowing operations, from curb to curb, will be completed after the snow event has diminished.
Winter Weather Tips
• Snow should be cleared from fire hydrants to assist the Fire/Rescue Department.
• Pushing or blowing of snow into City streets or right-of-ways is prohibited.
• Residents are asked not to park on City streets at night. Parking is prohibited from 2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.
• Snow should be shoveled to the right-hand side of the driveway (as viewed from the house) to help reduce the amount of snow pushed back into driveways
• Fringe snow pushed back into driveways cannot be avoided, as all streets must be snowplowed from curb to curb to allow for proper drainage and mailbox access.