- Notary services are provided free of charge to Crystal Lake residents and business owners only.
- Notary services are available during regular City Hall business hours and are subject to the availability of a Notary Public within the Administration Department. City Hall is located at: 100 W Woodstock St, Crystal Lake, IL 60014.
- Individuals seeking Notary services must present valid photo identification. Acceptable forms of identification are: State Issued Driver's License or ID, Non-Driver's ID, US Passport, US Military ID.
- Documents to be notarized must be signed in person before the Notary who will certify the signature.
- Notary services are only available for documents presented in English.
- Notary services are NOT available for:
- Wills and Codicils (a document that adds or changes something in a will)
- Copies of Passports
- I-9 forms
- Closing and Real Estate documents
Also, the Notary shall not certify or notarize that a record is an original or a true copy of another record.
- Notaries shall keep a journal of all Notary services performed.
- The Notaries are not Notary Public Signing Agents. A Notary Public Signing Agent is a Notary who has special training to handle loan document signings.
- The Notaries are not licensed attorneys and may not give legal advice.
- A City Notary may refuse to serve an individual if the Notary is uncertain of the signer’s identity, willingness or general competence, or has good reason to suspect fraud.
For a document to be notarized, it must contain:
- Text committing the signer in some way
- An original signature of the document signer to be signed in person before the Notary
- A notary “certificate” which may appear on the document itself or on an attachment.The notary fills in this certificate, signs it, and then applies his/her seal to complete the notarization.
The Notary can refuse to notarize documents from which the notary certification can be detached from the document being notarized.